Gold Star Mission bicycling event, which goes through Quincy on Sept. 20, to preserve memories of fallen Illinois service members
QUINCY — The Gold Star Mission is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization that honors and supports Gold Star families by preserving the memory of our fallen heroes through service to others in need. The mission strives to preserve the memories and ensure the names of nearly 300 fallen Illinois service men and women since Sept. 11, 2001.
The Gold Star Mission honors fallen service members through scholarships named in honor of the fallen Illinois service members. They assist Gold Star family members and will help others of whom they likely never knew. In the first four years of existence, the mission has awarded 164 scholarships in the names of these fallen heroes.
The Gold Star Mission also conducts endurance events to raise both awareness of the service and sacrifices of fallen service members while also raising funds through donations.
The sixth annual Gold Star 500 will be held beginning in Springfield on Tuesday, Sept. 20. This is a five-day, 520-mile endurance bicycling event. A team of primarily veteran and service member bicyclists (projected total of 35-40 riders) will begin the journey, with the intent of this ride to carry the torch of personal sacrifice. The highlights of the route are:
- Day 1: Springfield to Mount Sterling to Quincy;
- Day 2: Quincy to Macomb to to Galesburg;
- Day 3: Galesburg to Rock Island to to Rock Falls:
- Day 4: Rock Falls to Rockford to Woodstock;
- Day 5: Woodstock to Fort Sheridan to Great Lakes Naval Station.
How can you help:
- Learn about a fallen hero and share what you’ve learned;
- Volunteer as an event participant or as part of the support team;
- Follow Gold Star Mission on Facebook;
- Donate by going to Goldstarmission.org;
- Sponsor a participant — Gold Star Mission participants are challenged to raise donations for the scholarship program.
Miss Clipping Out Stories to Save for Later?
Click the Purchase Story button below to order a print of this story. We will print it for you on matte photo paper to keep forever.