ICC approves highway-rail safety upgrades for Adams County crossing projects at cost of $1.06 million

railroad crossing signal

Three highway rail crossings near LaPrairie have been approved to have automatic flashing light signals and gates installed. | Photo courtesy of pexels.com

ADAMS COUNTY, Ill. — The Illinois Commerce Commission has approved public safety projects for three highway-rail crossings near La Prairie in Adams County.

The agreement requires the installation of automatic flashing light signals with gates and highway approach grade improvements at the E. 2650th St. (AAR/DOT #063774X), N. 2800th Ave. (AAR/DOT #063775E) and N. 2900th Ave. (AAR/DOT #063778A) crossings.

The total estimated cost to design and install the warning signals at all three crossings is $1,056,857. ICC staff recommended that the Grade Crossing Protection Fund (GCPF) be used to pay 95 percent of the signal design and construction costs, not to exceed $1,004,013. BNSF will pay the remaining 5 percent of the costs to design, install and maintain the signals and circuitry.

The total estimated costs to rehabilitate the existing highway approaches is $336,172. ICC staff recommended that the GCPF be used to pay 100 percent of the approach design and construction costs, in an amount not to exceed $336,172. The Northeast Township Road District will be responsible for the costs and work to maintain the highway approaches.

In a press release, ICC Commissioner Michael T. Carrigan said, “Upgrades to these highway-rail crossings in Adams County will protect pedestrians and motorists near and around trains. The Grade Crossing Protection Fund enables the ICC to help communities across Illinois to afford and move forward with important rail safety improvements,”

All work is expected to be completed within 18 months of the order date.

To read Stipulated Agreement 2302 in Docket No. T24-0001, visit https://www.icc.illinois.gov/docket/T2024-0001/documents

The Illinois Commerce Commission is a quasi-judicial body made up of five commissioners.  Through its Public Utility Program, the Commission oversees the provision of adequate, reliable, efficient and safe utility services at the least possible cost to Illinois citizens served by electric, natural gas, telecommunications, water and sewer public utility companies.

To learn more about the commission, its offices, and bureaus, click here. If you are a consumer who needs help resolving a utility dispute call 800-524-0795 or file an online complaint, visit https://www.icc.illinois.gov/about/Oversight.  For a complaint related to transportation, call 217-782-6448.

Follow the Illinois Commerce Commission on social media @ILCommerceComm

Miss Clipping Out Stories to Save for Later?

Click the Purchase Story button below to order a print of this story. We will print it for you on matte photo paper to keep forever.

Current Weather


Trending Stories