Space heater believed to be cause of house fire in Macomb where two dogs died

MACOMB FIRE

MACOMB, Ill. – The Macomb Fire Department responded to a house fire on Ward St. Saturday morning.

At 10:46 a.m., crews arrived at a structure fire in a residence at 339 S Ward Street in Macomb and saw flames coming from the home. The initial crew made entry, located fire in the front room and attic. The fire was extinguished, and the structure was ventilated. Crews had the fire under control just before noon.

The occupant was sleeping at home at the time of the fire when he woke to the smell of smoke and found fire in the living room before exiting. He received minor injuries and was treated and released by Lifeguard Ambulance Service.

No other injuries to civilians or firefighters were reported, however two canines perished in the fire.

The fire is believed to have started by a space heater that was plugged into a power strip and remains under investigation by the Macomb Fire Department. The residence had smoke alarms; however, they did not alert due to discharged batteries.

The home has fire, smoke, and water damage throughout and the estimated loss is $35,000.

Four on-duty Macomb Firefighters initially responded with an additional nine off-duty firefighters called back to assist on scene and to cover any additional calls for service. Macomb – McDonough County Communications Center, Macomb Illinois Police Department, Lifeguard Ambulance Service of Illinois, and Ameren also offered support. The scene was cleared at 2:59 p.m.

The Macomb Fire Department would like to remind everyone that smoke alarms are vital in early detection of fires but must be maintained to function properly.

Miss Clipping Out Stories to Save for Later?

Click the Purchase Story button below to order a print of this story. We will print it for you on matte photo paper to keep forever.

Current Weather

MON
82°
67°
TUE
90°
58°
WED
76°
55°
THU
80°
62°
FRI
84°
61°

Trending Stories