Two Rivers Regional Council of Public Officials announces start of energy assistance program

Two Rivers Regional Council

QUINCY — The Two Rivers Regional Council of Public Officials, as administrator of the energy assistance program in Adams, Brown, Pike and Schuyler counties, says funds are available to assist income-eligible households with their natural gas, propane and/or electric bills and furnace assistance for inoperable heating systems. 

The program will begin taking applications on Oct. 2 for seniors, the disabled and families with children under the age of six years. Households that are disconnected from their utilities, have a disconnection notice or have less than 25 percent in their propane tank can start applying for assistance on Nov. 1.

All other income eligible households can start applying Dec. 1.

The application end date is now changing to Aug. 15, 2024, instead of May 31, 2024. Applications will be taken on a first-come, first-served basis through Aug. 15. Households receiving a one-time benefit may return during this period for a Reconnection Assistance or Furnace Assistance benefit(s).

Households must be at or below 200 percent of the federal poverty level to receive a benefit from the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program. The 30-day income guidelines for LIHEAP are based on federal poverty guidelines, state median income and the number of people living in the household. The income guidelines are 1-$2,430, 2-$3,287, 3-$4,143, 4-$5,000. Go to or to find income limits for households with five members and more.

LIHEAP provides one-time benefits to income-eligible homeowners and renters to help with energy bills and for reconnection of energy service. Propane customers who are part of the priority group are encouraged to apply when the program opens in October. Propane prices typically increase during the winter months. By applying early, propane customers will see their LIHEAP benefit go further.

Applications will be taken at the following locations:

  • Adams County — 706 Maine, Quincy, 217-224-8171
  • Brown County — 206 SW Cross, Mount Sterling, 217-773-3141
  • Pike County office — 120 S. Madison, Pittsfield, 217-285-5424
  • Schuyler County — 233 Jefferson, Rushville, 217-322-6916

To submit an application, you MUST submit all required documentation:

  • Proof of gross income from all household members for the prior 30-day period beginning with the date of application;
  • Proof of Social Security numbers or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number for all household members. Individuals without a SSN or ITIN can still apply, and Two Rivers Regional Council of Public Officials will advise accordingly;
  • A copy of current heat and electric bills issued within the last 30 days.
  • A copy of rental agreement (if renting) showing that utilities are included, the monthly rental amount and landlord contact.

Other documents may be needed based on individual household situations.

People with questions should contact Two Rivers at 217-224-8171 for outreach locations, schedules and for information on what documents are needed to apply and different ways to submit your application.

Miss Clipping Out Stories to Save for Later?

Click the Purchase Story button below to order a print of this story. We will print it for you on matte photo paper to keep forever.

Current Weather


Trending Stories