Hannibal Regional Medical Group offering free skin cancer screenings throughout region
HANNIBAL, Mo. — Beginning in April and going through June, Dr. Schuyler Metlis with the Hannibal Regional Medical Group will be the host of free skin cancer screenings throughout the region. The screenings are free. Space is limited, and an appointment is required.
Metlis will be available for screenings on the following dates and times:
- Hannibal: 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. April 12 or May 18. Call (573) 629-3500 to schedule.
- Shelbina: 9:30 to 11 a.m. May 4. Call (573) 588-4131 to schedule.
- Monroe City: 1:30 to 3 p.m. May 4. Call (573) 735-2506 to schedule.
- Louisiana: 9:30 to 11 a.m. May 25. Call (573) 754-5555 to schedule.
- Bowling Green: 1:30 to 3 p.m. May 25. Call (573) 324-2241 to schedule.
- Canton: 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. June 15. Call (573) 288-5360 to schedule.
Skin cancer is the most common cancer in the United States. More people have been diagnosed with a form of skin cancer during the past few decades than all other cancers combined. Nearly five million people are treated for skin cancer each year in the United States.
Risk factors for skin cancer are a lighter natural skin color, reddish hair, family history of skin cancer, history of indoor tanning, history of sunburns (especially early in life), and skin that burns, freckles or reddens easily.
“If you have any of these risk factors, you should see a doctor for a skin cancer screening at least once a year,” Metlis said. “Finding a skin cancer early is the best way to make sure it can be treated with success and with the smallest or least conspicuous scars.”
Miss Clipping Out Stories to Save for Later?
Click the Purchase Story button below to order a print of this story. We will print it for you on matte photo paper to keep forever.