Multiple space heaters overloading electrical circuit cause of structure fire in Hannibal

KODAK Digital Still Camera

Hannibal firefighters were dispatched at 2:51 a.m. Wednesday by 911 to respond to a fire at 721 Ben Lomond. | Photo courtesy of Mark Kempker

HANNIBAL, Mo. —  The Hannibal Fire Department needed approximately 15 minutes to control a structure fire Wednesday morning that a fire investigator said was accidental and caused by multiple space heaters overloading an electrical circuit.

Firefighters were dispatched at 2:51 a.m. Wednesday by 911 to respond to a fire at 721 Ben Lomond. The initial response was all stations. Upon arrival, incident command confirmed a fire with smoke and flames coming from the roof and second floor of the structure. Incident command conducted an offensive attack and called for an additional four off-duty firefighters. 

Firefighters were on scene conducting ventilation and overhaul operations until around 5 a.m.

The Hannibal Fire Department was assisted by Hannibal Police Department, Marion County Ambulance District, Hannibal City Building Inspector’s office, Hannibal Board of Public Works and the American Red Cross.

Miss Clipping Out Stories to Save for Later?

Click the Purchase Story button below to order a print of this story. We will print it for you on matte photo paper to keep forever.

Current Weather

SUN
62°
36°
MON
69°
53°
TUE
68°
43°
WED
65°
43°
THU
71°
56°

Trending Stories