Cast selected for Disney’s ‘Moana Jr.’ to take stage at Quincy Community Theatre Feb. 23-26
QUINCY — Disney’s “Moana Jr.,” the musical stage adaptation of Disney’s popular 2016 film, will take the stage at Quincy Community Theatre Feb. 23-26. This will mark the first production in QCT’s 2023 season that will celebrate the theatre’s 100th year as a pillar of the local arts.
Audiences will see a thrilling and heartwarming coming-of-age tale of Moana as she sets sail across the Pacific to save her village and discover the truth about her heritage. She and the demigod Maui embark on an epic journey of self-discovery and camaraderie as she learns to harness the power that lies within.
Adapted for young performers, this musical includes favorite songs by Tony, Grammy, Emmy and Pulitzer Prize-winning composer Lin-Manuel Miranda, Opetaia Foa’i and Mark Mancina, such as “How Far I’ll Go,” “Shiny” and “You’re Welcome.”
This main stage student theatre production is under the direction of Brendan Shea, QCT’s head of education and director of student theatre.
In a press release, Shea said, “Moana represents what we all strive for — a sense of purpose, a selfless commitment to helping others and a desire to honor our family and community. While her journey is relatable to all of us, it’s also drawn from mythology, traditions and cultural practices that are far away from Quincy.
“‘Moana Jr.’ gives us the opportunity to center new stories on the QCT stage and, as a cast and crew, develop deep knowledge, understanding and respect for the myriad cultures of Oceania that inspired this important story. We look forward to sharing what we’ve learned with the community..”
Moana Jr. will have a cast of 30 talented student performers, many of whom are making their QCT and/or stage debut. The cast is comprised of:
- Keyarri Holder as Moana
- Gavin Ginosas Maui
- Thalia Wolfmeyer as Gramma Tala
- Jude Steiner-Haubrich as Chief Tui
- Jada Penick-Fonza as Sina
- Grace Hendrian as Pua
- Abram Hendrian as Hei Hei
- Baylee Dedert asTamatoa
- Georgia Wisslead as Left Claw
- Conall Wolfmeyer as Right Claw
- Aliviya Oshner as Te Fiti / Te Ka
- Caleigh Twaddle as Chief Ancestor 1
- Emma Hayden as Chief Ancestor 2
- Gabby Caley as Chief Ancestor 3
- Helen Smith as Fisher 1
- Daxton Holthaus as Fisher 2
- Amani Wolfe as Villager 1
- Ava Jacobsen as Villager 2
- Lila Martin as Villager 3
- Julian Holt as Villager 4
- Lily Venvertloh as Villager 5
- Ellie Reuschel as Villager 6
- Millie Cunningham as Gate Monster and
- Maggie Brown, Audrey Wisslead, Sofie Hale, Evelyn Ginos, Abby Twaddle, Etana Lilako and Lydia Duesterhaus as The Ocean ensemble.
The production team consists of Shea, vocal direction by Daxtun Heier, choreography by Shawn Jones and Mekia Gay, scenic design by Sabrina Brookshire, lighting design by Brian Zipp, costume design by Ethan Henry and stage management by Cathy Gooding.
Tickets start at $17 and go on sale Monday, Jan. 30. The performances are Feb. 23-25 at 7:30 p.m. and Feb. 26 at 2 p.m. Seating is reserved.
For more information, visit 1qct.org or call the QCT box office in the Oakley-Lindsay Center at 217-222-3209.
“Moana Jr.” is sponsored by Hansen-Spear Funeral Home. QCT’s 2023 season is sponsored by Gardner Denver.
Miss Clipping Out Stories to Save for Later?
Click the Purchase Story button below to order a print of this story. We will print it for you on matte photo paper to keep forever.