ENCORE! awards 10 summer music camp scholarships to local high school students
QUINCY — ENCORE!, the volunteer council of the Quincy Symphony Orchestra Association, recently announced this year’s recipients of music camp scholarships. The 10 scholarship recipients attending music camps this summer are:
- Christopher Noah Schaefer, son of Chris and Beth Schaefer, is a freshman at Quincy Senior High School. He will be studying clarinet at the Western Illinois University Summer Band Camp. Christopher is a member of the Quincy Senior High School band and was named a member of ILMEA All-District Band and has received high solo and ensemble ratings of 1.
- Cassandra Froelich, daughter of Patrick and Stephanie Froelich, is a junior at Quincy Senior High School. She will be studying viola at WIU Summer Orchestra Camp in Macomb. Cassandra is a member of the QSHS orchestra and received the 2023 QHS Music Department Outstanding Orchestra Service Award.
- Paul Steinkamp, son of Nick and Jill Steinkamp, is a junior at Quincy Notre Dame High School. He will be studying trumpet at Brass Week-University of Illinois Summer Youth Music Camp in Champaign. Paul is a member of the Notre Dame High School band and Quincy Youth Orchestra. Paul was selected for All-District Orchestra, Band, and Jazz Band.
- Kaylee Blunier, daughter of Joe and Karen Blunier, is a sophomore at Warsaw High School. She will study tenor saxophone at Summer Jazz Camp, Western Illinois University. Kaylee studies with Professor Ginsburg WIU and presently performs with the Quincy Youth Orchestra. Kaylee was selected for 2023 All-State Orchestra.
- Grace Stevens, daughter of Bryan and Julie Stevenson, is an 8th grade student at Southeastern Junior High School in Augusta where she plays with the band and orchestra. She is also a member of the Quincy Youth Orchestra. Grace will study percussion at WIU Summer Band and Jazz Band in the Community Music Camp, Macomb. Grace was awarded “Best in the Room” percussion solo at IESA 2023 with a high 1 rating.
- Kasey Fink, daughter of Valerie Heisler and Trent Fink, is a junior at Warsaw High School. Kasey plays trumpet with the Quincy Youth Orchestra. She has received awards in IMEA Division 1 ratings on all solo and ensembles, All-District Band 2022, and 2023, and All State Band 2023. Kasey received a scholarship from ISYM in Champaign and will use her scholarship to attend Brass week at ISYM and Jazz Camp at WIU Community Music School this summer.
- Noah Hutson, son of Brenda and the late Matt Hutson, is a sophomore at Warsaw High School. Noah plays trumpet with Warsaw High School band and the Quincy Youth Orchestra. Noah will attend ISYM in Champaign. He was selected for 2023 All-District Band.
- Isaac Steinkamp, son of Jill and Nick Steinkamp, is an 8th grade student at St. Francis Solanus. He plays trombone with Quincy Youth Orchestra. Isaac was selected for All-District 2022 and 2023 and All District Jazz Band 2023. Isaac will attend Jazz Camp at WIU’s Community Music School.
- Iysis Biggs, daughter of Sheila and Anthony Biggs, is an 8th grade student at St. Dominic School. She plays violin with the Youth Orchestra and PMO Band. Iysis has received IGSMA 2022 and 2023 Division 1 rating and medaled. She received the PMO award in 2021 and 2022. Iysis will attend Stevens Point Suzuki Camp in Stevens Point, Wis.
- Cecelia Wayland, daughter of Jeff and Melissa Wayland, is a 7th grade student at Quincy Junior High School. She plays violin with the Quincy Junior High School Orchestra. Cecelia will be studying at the American Suzuki Institute, in Stevens Point, Wis., this summer.
This is the 67th year these music camp scholarships have been awarded to students throughout the local area. These scholarships are funded by the estate of Martha McCrory and by ENCORE!’s Symphony of Trees fundraising events such as Fairy Tale Tea and Battle for the Baton. ENCORE! is thankful for community support received at fundraisers throughout the year which made these scholarships possible.
Miss Clipping Out Stories to Save for Later?
Click the Purchase Story button below to order a print of this story. We will print it for you on matte photo paper to keep forever.