Quincy Art Center’s spring classes begin Saturday; scholarship opportunities available
QUINCY — Classes and workshops offered at Quincy Art Center this spring include mixed media, paint, clay and a free workshop for kindergarten through third-grade students.
The Art Center class schedule kicks off on Saturday, March 4, with one-day workshops for children. A “Pinching Pots with Clay” workshop will be held from 10-11:30 a.m. for kindergarten through third-grade students. The free class will be led by high school students from the Art Center’s Arts Leadership Academy and overseen by director of education Rachel Roundtree.
Also on March 4, a “Fruit Salad Sculptures” workshop will be held from 1-2:30 p.m. for kindergarten through third-grade students. They will learn how to create new colors from the primary colors using Crayola Model Magic as they work to create their own miniature slices of fruit.
During the week of March 7, classes begin for kindergarten students through adults.
- In “The Power of Paint,” kindergarten through second-grade students will be introduced to watercolor, acrylic and tempera paints and learn to control their brushes as they explore their own imaginations and build their skills over time to enhance larger, more elaborate creations.
- In “Painting with Mixed Media,” students in grades 3-5 will learn to experiment with different types of paint as they incorporate various media into both small- and large-scale works of art that emphasize the use of scale and perspective.
- Students in grades 6-8 will learn to find their own unique artistic style as the class works to create a still life, self-portrait, and much more in “Painting for Posterity.”
- In the “Getting Ant-sy” workshop, students in grades 4-8 will make bug sculptures out of Crayola Model Magic.
- A clay hand-building class will be offered for high school students and adults as they explore different methods of hand building in ceramics, including the pinch, coil and slab building methods.
Members of the Art Center receive a 10 percent discount on classes. Scholarships are available to students 18 years of age and younger who qualify. Scholarships cover the entire class, including the fee and art supplies. The Art Center also offers a 50 percent discount for college students.
For more information on memberships and scholarships, visit quincyartcenter.org or call 217-223-5900.
Miss Clipping Out Stories to Save for Later?
Click the Purchase Story button below to order a print of this story. We will print it for you on matte photo paper to keep forever.