Highway-rail crossing upgrades near Fowler approved by Illinois Commerce Commission

Illinois Commerce Commission

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. — The Illinois Commerce Commission (ICC) recently approved a stipulated agreement to install automatic warning devices, circuitry and minor approach grade improvements at the County Road 1700 North highway-rail grade crossing of Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway Company’s track near Fowler in Adams County. 

“Illinois has the second largest rail system in the nation that includes more than 10,000 public highway-rail crossings. Many of these crossings need attention to ensure pedestrians and motorists remain safe around train tracks,” ICC Commissioner Michael T. Carrigan said in a press release. “By allocating Grade Crossing Protection Funds, the ICC can help local governments and railroads to make much-needed safety improvements like the ones in Adams County.” 

The estimated cost of the signal design and construction is $393,722. ICC staff recommended the Grade Crossing Protection Fund be used to pay 95 percent of the signal design and construction costs, not to exceed $374,036. BNSF will pay the remaining 5 percent of the cost to design and install the new automatic warning devices and the entire cost of future maintenance of the signals and circuitry. 

Gilmer Township will pay 100 percent of the approach adjustment costs and highway approach maintenance costs. All work is to be completed within 18 months from the order date. 

To read Stipulated Agreement 2300 in Docket No. T24-0007, click here

The Illinois Commerce Commission is a quasi-judicial body made up of five commissioners. Through its public utility program, the commission oversees the provision of adequate, reliable, efficient and safe utility services at the least possible cost to Illinois citizens served by electric, natural gas, telecommunications, water and sewer public utility companies. 

Miss Clipping Out Stories to Save for Later?

Click the Purchase Story button below to order a print of this story. We will print it for you on matte photo paper to keep forever.

Current Weather

FRI
87°
68°
SAT
85°
70°
SUN
84°
73°
MON
91°
72°
TUE
92°
74°

Trending Stories