Improperly discarded smoking materials determined to be cause of fire in Quincy home

quincy-fire-department-logo

QUINCY — A structure fire in a one-story single-family home at 1410 N. 14th was contained early Friday night to the attic and one room. No one was injured.

A press release from the Quincy Fire Department said two QFD cause and origin investigators were called to the scene. The preliminary determination is the fire was accidental in nature as the result of improperly discarded smoking materials. 

Firefighters responded to 1410 N. 14th for reports of smoke coming from the roof of the home. Upon arrival, crews found light smoke coming from the attic vents. Company 4, the first arriving engine, pulled a hoseline and proceeded to the north end and attacked the fire from the outside and opened up the area around the gable vent. 

Company 2 then arrived on the scene and entered the structure through the front door. Firefighters performed a primary search of the home and found fire in the north bedroom. The fire was contained within 15 minutes.

No civilians or firefighters were injured at the scene. Some water damage occurred, and salvage covers were deployed to protected contents. 

The Quincy Fire Department had 11 members on scene from two engines, and a quint as well as the assistant chief and deputy chief. 

Miss Clipping Out Stories to Save for Later?

Click the Purchase Story button below to order a print of this story. We will print it for you on matte photo paper to keep forever.

Current Weather

WED
88°
64°
THU
85°
72°
FRI
87°
73°
SAT
86°
62°
SUN
82°
59°

Trending Stories