Monroe City School District Foundation awards Ace of Diamonds raffle winner a $50,583 jackpot

429557622_906924951438772_1898712745993015824_n

The winning envelope number 35 purchased by Rachel Turnbull was the winner of the Ace of Diamonds Raffle on Feb. 28 to benefit the Monroe County R-I School District. The event was held at Maddie's on Main in Monroe City. | Photo courtesy of Monroe County R-I School District

MONROE CITY, Mo. – Rachel Turnbull still can’t believe she won a $50,583 jackpot from the Ace of Diamonds fundraiser hosted by the Monroe City R-I Education Foundation.

“I was shocked by the win,” Turnbull said. “I still feel like I am in a state of shock.”

Turnbull lives in Columbia, Mo., and graduated from Monroe City High School in 1999. She selected ticket number 35, which is where the Ace of Diamonds was hiding. Turnbull will receive 60 percent of the more than $50,000 pot, and the remaining 40 percent will benefit the school district. 

Turnbull was the winner of the eighth round of the Ace of Diamonds fundraiser. Previous winners have received varying amounts, depending on when the Ace of Diamonds card was drawn. The March 2022 jackpot reached more than $34,000, and the November 2022 jackpot was $14,528. The February jackpot was $7,775.

All winners present at the drawing receive 70 percent of the jackpot, with 30 percent to benefit Monroe City School District. Winners not present at the drawing receive 60 percent of the jackpot, with 40 percent to benefit the school district.

JoLynn Yates, president of the MCRI Education Foundation, said the foundation was founded as a nonprofit in 2017. They have since funded classroom grants, professional development for staff and staff recognition. Classroom grants have helped fund a food science lab, a classroom library and more.

Yates also said the foundation has discreetly worked with school administrators to provide students with glasses and other medical needs.

Yates said the funding and the Ace of Diamonds raffle comes from the generosity of the Monroe City community.

Turnbull plans to use the money to do upgrades on her home. She will invest the rest.

The ninth round of Ace of Diamonds has already begun. 

The opening jackpot will be $5,000. Non-winning drawings will receive $50, and those who draw an ace in any suit other than diamonds will receive $200. The ticket website closes at noon on the day of each drawing.

Tickets can be bought online at http://mcr1foundation.weebly.com/. Tickets are available in Monroe City at HNB Bank, Alliant Bank, Campbell’s Convenience Store, BK’s Place and Maddie’s on Main. One ticket is $1. Six tickets are $5.

Miss Clipping Out Stories to Save for Later?

Click the Purchase Story button below to order a print of this story. We will print it for you on matte photo paper to keep forever.

Current Weather

SUN
88°
71°
MON
85°
69°
TUE
89°
59°
WED
75°
55°
THU
81°
60°

Trending Stories