No one injured in kitchen fire Friday at Kentucky Street home; fire determined accidental

quincy-fire-department-logo

QUINCY — The Quincy Fire Department responded to a report of a kitchen fire at 1:57 p.m. Friday in a two-story brick apartment house at 1244 Kentucky.

A press release from the Quincy Fire Department reported the first two crews arrived on scene simultaneously at 2:01 p.m. and spoke with the occupants, who reported all people were out of the residence. Fire crews entered the smoke-filled kitchen and discovered the fire had been extinguished. An occupant had used a garden hose to extinguish the stovetop fire.

Crews ensured no fire had extended behind the upper cabinet or in the wall behind it or behind the stove. The last crew left the scene at 2:42 p.m.

No civilians or firefighters were injured at the scene. The fire was contained to the stove and the vent hood and cabinet above the stove, as well as some adjacent kitchen items. The fire was determined to be accidental, caused by an occupant bumping the stove knob and turning on a burner under a pan with vegetable oil in it. The vegetable oil ignited once it reached its ignition temperature.

The fire department had 10 members on scene from two engines, a quint (a fire truck that combines the equipment capabilities of a ladder truck and the water-pumping ability of a fire engine) and the assistant chief.

Miss Clipping Out Stories to Save for Later?

Click the Purchase Story button below to order a print of this story. We will print it for you on matte photo paper to keep forever.

Current Weather

MON
96°
75°
TUE
93°
73°
WED
91°
72°
THU
93°
74°
FRI
95°
74°

Trending Stories