Quincy Fire Department responds to house fire on Chestnut

quincy-fire-department-logo

QUINCY — The Quincy Fire Department responded to a report of a fire at a home at 2024 Chestnut early Friday morning.

When the first crew arrived a little after 1:30 a.m., smoke and flames were coming from the house, but all of the homes occupants were out, but one suffered a minor burn to the knee that did not require treatment. No firefighters were injured at the scene.

One of the occupants reported that they noticed the smoke coming from the kitchen. They observed the upper cabinet to the right of the stove on fire. They filled a ceramic bowl with water, attempted to douse the fire and then called 911.

Firefighters entered the kitchen and extinguished a fire that was on top of the electric stove and in an adjacent cabinet. The breaker to the stove was shut off as a precaution.

The second arriving crew staged by the fire hydrant in case water supply was needed and the third arriving crew set up a fan to remove smoke from the residence. When all the smoke
had cleared from the house, the last crew left the scene about 2:45 a.m.

The fire was contained to the kitchen, with fire damage to the electric stove, microwave above it and the adjacent cabinet. There was smoke damage throughout the entire house and the house had no working smoke detectors.

The fire originated on the right rear burner of the stove, which had a jar candle on it. The fire is labeled as undetermined, being caused either by a malfunction or by accidentally turning the burner on.

Miss Clipping Out Stories to Save for Later?

Click the Purchase Story button below to order a print of this story. We will print it for you on matte photo paper to keep forever.

Current Weather

THU
78°
59°
FRI
79°
62°
SAT
77°
60°
SUN
83°
68°
MON
80°
68°

Trending Stories