DAILY DIRT: Alien invasion might be the strangest Super Bowl prop bet of all-time
NFL sounds a bit demanding when it comes to Super Bowl host cities … Welcome to today’s three thoughts that make up Vol. 861 of The Daily Dirt.
1. It’s Saturday, and we’re just one day from the Super Bowl. Here are 10 things to consider between now and kickoff:
- Each team playing in the Super Bowl gets 108 footballs, says Kristina Peterson-Lohman, of the Wilson Football Factory. During a typical Super Bowl, 120 balls are used.
- Tickets for the very first Super Bowl in 1967 cost an average of $6, which was apparently too pricey for many. According to Brisa Trinchero, founder of ticket sales site shoowin.com, there were 30,000 empty seats
- Reba McEntire will sing “The Star-Spangled Banner” before the game. McEntire is included in a pregame entertainment lineup that includes Post Malone and Andra Day. Malone will sing “America the Beautiful.” Day will sing “Lift Every Voice and Sing,” also known as the Black national anthem.
- As a perk, every player in the big game gets a loaner car — such as a Cadillac Escalade — to drive around during the week leading up to the Super Bowl.
- After the game, the host city must remove the playing field at its own expense, and, if the league requests it, give those pieces of green back to the NFL so it can sell them as “licensed products.”
- Super Bowls I and II were called the AFL-NFL World Championship Game. The term Super Bowl did come into play until the third game.
- Hotels, where the players stay, must carry the NFL network on their cable TV systems for a year prior to the Super Bowl.
- On game day, the NFL gets access to 35,000 parking spots near the stadium at no cost.
- Each Super Bowl game gets its own unique coin crafted by the Highland Mint. The front of the coin features the Lombardi Trophy, along with the helmets of the two teams playing. Fans can purchase a replica coin after the game.
- The weirdest prop bet for the Super Bowl has a comical extra-terrestrial lean — that there will be a shocking alien invasion that will force the game to end in a tie.
2. It’s time for The Daily Dirt Super Bowl prediction:
Kansas City 31, San Francisco 27.
Do you know what the best thing about the Super Bowl is? The moment it ends, it’s officially baseball season.
3. This week’s best of “Found on Facebook”:
- “The best way to die ever: Clint Eastwood shooting you while Morgan Freeman narrates.”
- “Husbands are the best people secrets with. They’ll never tell anyone, because they aren’t even listening.”
- “Folks crying about a $3 gallon gas while in line for a $5 cup of coffee.”
- “What do you call 53 millionaires watching the Super Bowl? The Dallas Cowboys.”
- “If a ballplayer stole 60 bases a year for 22 years, Rickey Henderson would still have more steals.”
Steve Thought O’ The Day – I’m going to make sure my wife reads that comment about the $5 cup of coffee.
Steve Eighinger writes daily for Muddy River News. The publisher says take the Chiefs and the over.
Miss Clipping Out Stories to Save for Later?
Click the Purchase Story button below to order a print of this story. We will print it for you on matte photo paper to keep forever.