DAILY DIRT: Bedding and linen may be the safest post-holiday buy, but those massive flat screens look mighty good, too
Always think twice about going the fitness equipment route. Jus’ sayin’ … Welcome to today’s three thoughts that make up Vol. 492 of The Daily Dirt.
1. This is the time of year when we are all looking for the best post-holiday bargains.
Here’s one man’s guide on how to approach this annual quandary:
Bedding and linen: This might not be the most glamorous purchase, but if The Little Woman wants to replenish the bedding closet this is usually the perfect time. Department stores hold bedding and linen “white sales” in January with deep discounts on sheets and towels. Give your wife the credit card and tell her to go to town.
Fitness equipment: OK, raise your hand if you have put on a few pounds since Thanksgiving. I thought so (my hand’s raised, too). And don’t think retailers are not aware of the calorie guilt many of us are feeling. When January rolls around, we all want to “get back in shape.” The truth is, however, that will not happen for most. But retailers will be offering all sorts of enticements to get you to buy exercise gear. But keep one hand on your wallet. It will always be cheaper to regularly walk around the block on a regular basis than to fork over hundreds, maybe thousands, of dollars for exercise equipment you may only wind up using once or twice.
TVs and electronics. This is where the guys get into the act. What self-respecting male wouldn’t like a brand new wide screen just before the Super Bowl? And don’t think retailers aren’t aware of this. That’s why TVs ad home theater essentials are always discounted this time of the year. A warning, however, to all married couples about to head to Walmart. Guys may have to ask their wives to buy a little less in the linen department so they can get that new 85-inch flat screen.
2. Here’s the best of what I “Found on Facebook” this week:
- “What’s the difference between Iron Man and Aluminum Man? Iron Man stops bad guys. Aluminum Man just foils their plans.”
- “I had a very overweight parrot that passed away. Truth be told, that was a great weight off my shoulders.”
- “The word QUEUE is just a letter followed by four silent letters.”
- “You know you’re old when your back goes out more than you do.”
- “A pun has not completely matured until it is full groan.”
3. It’s final, the most popular baby names for 2022, according to fatherly.com:
- 1. Liam
- 2. Noah
- 3. Oliver
- 4. Elijah
- 5. Mateo
- 6. Lucas
- 7. Levi
- 8. Asher
- 9. James
- 10. Leo
- 1. Olivia
- 2. Emma
- 3. Amelia
- 4. Ava
- 5. Sophia
- 6. Isabella
- 7. Luna
- 8. Mia
- 9. Charlotte
- 10. Evelyn
Steve Thought O’ The Day — For the record, my youngest granddaughter is named Sophia. Or, as we say in the Eighinger household, “Sophie.”
Miss Clipping Out Stories to Save for Later?
Click the Purchase Story button below to order a print of this story. We will print it for you on matte photo paper to keep forever.