DAILY DIRT: Do you know someone who is rather fantoosh or adorkable?
Daily Dirt for Monday, Nov. 21, 2022
Is the McRib a bit janky?… Welcome to today’s three thoughts that make up Vol. 454 of The Daily Dirt.
1. A little more than a month ago, more than 300 new words were added to the major dictionaries.
When many people use a word in the same way, over a long enough period of time, that word becomes eligible for inclusion, according to ischoolconnect.com. Here are some of the newest words to become an official member of the English language:
- Janky: of very poor quality.
- Adorkable: socially awkward or quirky in a way that is endearing.
- Mud season: a time of year (such as early spring) that is characterized by excessively muddy ground.
- FWIW: for what it’s worth.
- ICYMI: in case you missed it.
- Athleisure: Comfortable and casual footwear and clothing designed for exercise and rigorous activity.
- Broigus: Angry or irritated.
- Side hustle: work performed for income supplementary to one’s primary job.
- Dawn chorus: the singing of wild birds that closely precedes and follows sunrise, especially in spring and summer.
- Blert: A cowardly person, someone who is weak. Space force: the military organization of a nation for space warfare
- Fantoosh: Showy; flashy; stylish; exotic; sophisticated. Used often to imply pretentiousness and ostentation.
- LOL: (This was long overdue!)The abbreviated form for “Laugh Out Loud.” Used commonly for communicating informally on social media platforms.
- Shero: A heroine; a hero of the female gender. (I love this one, absolutely love it.)
2. The weeks are winding down to a precious few for the Great Plate Debate of 2022 for West-Central Illinois and Northeast Missouri.
Here are my favorite license plates from the past week:
- BAB. Must be short for Babs.
- 4. Yep, just one number. An awesome looking plate.
- OBOE I. A member of some local orchestra?
- MRS. LAY. Top o’ the mornin’ to you, Mrs. Lay.
The current medal holders are:
- Gold medal: IMDUMB.
- Gold medal:OHYO ST8.
- Silver medal: 1 KWIKI.
3. At first I just laughed at this, and then I realized how accurate it is:
“The McRib is the deadbeat dad of the fast-food world. It comes around once a year and we’re all supposed to act excited,” say fast-food connoisseurs everywhere.
Steve Thought O’ The Day — This is rather surprising to me. The most popular food in Turkey is not turkey. It’s lamb. Who knew!?
Steve Eighinger writes daily for Muddy River News. He will not be having lamb on Thanksgiving.
Miss Clipping Out Stories to Save for Later?
Click the Purchase Story button below to order a print of this story. We will print it for you on matte photo paper to keep forever.