Daily Dirt for Tuesday, March 22, 2022
Michelle Pfeiffer joins Denzel Washington atop our favorites’ list … Welcome to today’s three thoughts and Vol. 240 of The Daily Dirt.
1. As promised on Monday, today is my all-time 10 favorite female actors:
- 1. Michelle Pfeiffer: I’ll make the same comment today about Michelle that I did Monday concerning Denzel Washington. I don’t think Pfeiffer has ever made a bad movie. She has proved her star status across all genres of films. Favorite movie: “The Fabulous Baker Boys” (1989).
- 2. Meg Ryan: I’m not sure what Meg was thinking when she underwent some drastic plastic surgery starting about 15 years ago, but it all but ended her career. She earns this position for her movies prior to that decision. Favorite movie: “When Harry Met Sally” (1989).
- 3. Emma Thompson: I’ve always felt Thompson has been one of the most underrated actresses of our time. Favorite movie: “Love Actually” (2003).
- 4. Susan Sarandon:While filming “Bull Durham,” Sarandon met and fell in love with actor Tim Robbins, who was playing the memorable Ebby Calvin “Nuke” LaLoosh. Just another reason baseball was, is and will always be the greatest game. Favorite movie: “Bull Durham” (1989).
- 5. Julia Roberts: She burst on to the scene in “Mystic Pizza” in 1988 and has been a megastar ever since. Favorite movie: “Notting Hill” (1999).
- 6.Jodie Foster: Has it really been 31 years since she originally played Clarice? Favorite movie: “The Silence of the Lambs” (1991).
- 7. Julianne Moore: Far from a household name in this particular category, Moore has been nominated for four Academy Awards during a brilliant but somewhat overlooked career. Favorite movie: “Boogie Nights” (1997).
- 8. Meryl Streep: Often described as the “finest actress of her generation,” which I can’t argue with … I simply haven’t cared for all of her films. Favorite movie: “Bridges of Madison County” (1995).
- 9. Sandra Bullock: She’s one of the few “A” list talents who can be convincing in both a dramatic or comedy role. Favorite movie: “The Blind Side” (2009)”.
- 10. Helen Mirren: Incredibly underrated and such a versatile talent. She has played a variety of major roles, but I think I enjoy her most in a romantic comedy. Favorite Movie: “Red” (2010).
2. Who loves a good fast-food breakfast sandwich? This guy. And these are the three he loves the most:
Gold medal: Sonic’s Breakfast Toaster, which is made includes a sausage patty (or bacon), scrambled egg (hold the cheese) on toast is the gold standard.
Silver medal: Burger King’s Croissan’wich, which comes in several models, is also a quality choice.
Bronze medal: McDonald’s Egg McMuffin remains a solid go-two choice after all these years. For the record, the Egg McMuffin became a reality in 1971.
3. Let’s wish a happy birthday to:
- Actress Keri Russell, who turns 46 today. She’s best known for her role on “The Americans” television series.
- Football analyst, sometimes-comedian and former star quarterback Peyton Manning, who will be 46 on Thursday.
- Actress Jennifer Grey, who will be 62 on Saturday. Remember her in “Dirty Dancing” when she swapped moves with the late, great Patrick Swazye?
- Country singer Kenny Chesney, who checks in at 54 on Saturday. Thanks to him, tractors are now sexy.
- Singer Mariah Carey, who will be 52 on Sunday. When was her last hit song?
- Country songstress Reba McIntire, who hits 67 on Monday. Have you seen on on “Young Sheldon”? She has a recurring role.
- Reality-TV actor Jonathan Van Ness, a Quincy native, who turns 35 on Monday.
- Actress Lucy Lawless, who turns 54 on Tuesday. She’s still best known for her days as Xena the Warrior Princess.
Steve Thought O’ The Day — Steve once dreamed of being a member of the Grass Roots and singing backup on a recording of “Midnight Confessions”.
Steve Eighinger writes daily for Muddy River News. The Fab Five coming back to Quincy to give Steve a makeover would be must see TV.
Miss Clipping Out Stories to Save for Later?
Click the Purchase Story button below to order a print of this story. We will print it for you on matte photo paper to keep forever.Purchase Story