DAILY DIRT: How about a mouthful of sauerkraut before that midnight New Year’s kiss?
Avoid the fish, too. Jus’ sayin’ … Welcome to today’s three thoughts that make up Vol. 488 of The Daily Dirt.
1. One of, if not THE most popular New Year’s Eve tradition is the kiss of a loved one — or at least a real good friend — just before or as the clock strikes midnight.
If you’ll be at a party New Year’s Eve, and/or planning to plant a smooch on your loved one — or anyone else, for that matter — here are a few items to make sure you don’t ingest prior to that magic moment. The one on the receiving end of that kiss will be extremely grateful, with a special emphasis on “extremely.”
- Sauerkraut: Have you ever smelled this stuff? What could possibly make you think it would be OK to eat before kissing that special someone?
- Garlic: Or anything with garlic in it or on it. Again, common sense, people.
- Tuna: One of several notable smelly fish that will lessen your chances for a little late night lovin’.
- Liver and onions: Seriously, does this combination really need a reason why to avoid it?
- Surstromming:This Scandinavian “delicacy” is made of fermented herring, which — I am told — is about 300 times more gross than it sounds. I’m not sure what would be worse, the taste or the smell of your breath afterward.
- Pickled herring: Again, the fish thing. And this one’s pickled, too.
- Human flesh: Yeah, I’m just kidding. Unless you’re a zombie.
2. Let’s wish the following a happy birthday on New Year’s Eve:
Anthony Hopkins: We’ll forever remember the actor’s role in “Silence of the Lambs” and when he address Jodie Foster as “Cla-reeece.” Happy 85th.
Barbara Carrera: The former Bond girl turns 77. Wow.
Tim Matheson: The actor who helped make “Animal House” a part of of our pop culture will be 75.
Andy Summers: The Police guitarist turns 80.
Val Kilmer: The soon-to-be 63-year-old actor has been battling cancer for quite some time. He became a superstar in the 1986 classic “Top Gun.”
3. It appears the first real hints of who will be the next James Bond are beginning to emerge.
According to European media reports, keep an eye on the name of 32-year-old Aaron Taylor-Johnson. He has reportedly left quite an impression during screen tests with the Bond management/production team.
Taylor-Johnson’s acting resume includes “Godzilla,” “Avengers: Age of Ultron” and the “Kick-Ass” movies. Taylor-Johnson also starred in the 2009 film “Nowhere Boy,” a biopic about John Lennon.At this point, I don’t really care who is chosen. Just make a decision so we can have another Bond movie in my lifetime.
Steve Thought O’ The Day — Aaron Taylor-Johnson looks like he has all the physical characteristics needed to be the next 007, but I still wish Idris Elba would have had the opportunity to play the world’s most famous secret agent for at least a couple of films.
Steve Eighigner writes daily for Muddy River News. He’s over the leftovers and ready to return to the local lunch scene.
Miss Clipping Out Stories to Save for Later?
Click the Purchase Story button below to order a print of this story. We will print it for you on matte photo paper to keep forever.