DAILY DIRT: Jordan the greatest athlete of all-time?
Welcome to today’s three thoughts that make up Vol. 774 of The Daily Dirt.
1. Earlier this year, the International Commission of Professional Excellence in Fitness (ICEF) released a list of what it felt represented history’s 10 best athletes. Take a look, see what you think:
- 1. Michael Jordan: He was an integral part of six NBA championships won by the Chicago Bulls, 10 league scoring titles and five MVP awards. Jordan became an iconic figure during his playing days, and his legend has only grown since his retirement.
- 2. Muhammad Ali: The former heavyweight boxing champ and social activist was named Sports Illustrated’s Sportsman of the Century in 1999.
- 3. Wayne Gretzky: His nickname, “The Great One,” always seemed a perfect fit for the NHL’s all-time leading goal scorer and assist producer.
- 4. Usain Bolt: Bolt is an eight-time Olympic gold medalist and is the only sprinter to win Olympic 100-meter and 200-meter titles in three consecutive Olympics
- 5. Michael Phelps: He is the most decorated swimmer in history, winning Olympic medals.
- 6. Jim Thorpe: Thorpe is considered one of the most versatile athletes in modern sports.
- 7. Babe Ruth: “The Bambino” started his MLB career as a star left-handed pitcher for the Boston Red Sox, but gained his greatest fame as a slugging outfielder for the New York Yankees.
- 8. Lionel Messi: The international soccer star has been regarded as the best overall plyer in the world throughout much of his career.
- 9. Bo Jackson: He’s the only athlete to be named an all-star in both MLB and the NFL.
- 10. Roger Federer: In his prime, Federer was ranked the world’s No. 1 professional tennis player for a record 237 consecutive weeks.
2. Here’s a little ditty I found on Facebook this week.
Not that I feel this way…
“Sometimes I wish I was an octopus, so I could slap eight people at once.”
3. Here are some of the latest signs and sayings from the now world-famous Indian Hills Community Center in Bayfield, Colo.:
- “When You Drive in Louisiana, The Swamps Go Right Bayou.”
- “I’m Reading a Book on Lubrication, It’s Non-Friction.”
- “There Are No Such Things as Vampires, Unless You County Dracula.”
- “The Ghost Spilled Her Drink When She Spilled Her Boo Tea.”
- “I Don’t Have The Faintest Idea Of Why I Passed Out.”
- “Molasses: So What Do They Do With the Rest Of The Mole?”
- “My Friend Got a Star Wars Tattoo. You Should Have Seen The Luke On His Face.”
- “Injured Trampolinist Hopes To Bounce Back Soon.”
Steve Thought O’ The Day — One more sign: “It Takes Dead-dication To Become A Zombie.”
Miss Clipping Out Stories to Save for Later?
Click the Purchase Story button below to order a print of this story. We will print it for you on matte photo paper to keep forever.