DAILY DIRT: Pass the ketchup-filled hard-boiled eggs, please
This will be the first week without either Major League Baseball or NASCAR since early February. I already miss them both … Welcome to today’s three thoughts that make up Vol. 443 of The Daily Dirt.
1. BuzzFeed.com provided a list of 15 disgusting foods that writer Krista Torres says “make her nervous.”
Take a look at these selections, and I think you’ll understand why:
- 1. Baked beans and egg pizza: This one truly is difficult to even look at.
- 2. Ketchup-filled hard-boiled egg: I can’t imagine biting into one of those things.
- 3. Clam chowder ice pop: Listen, I like a good popsicle as much as the next guy, and I love clam chowder. I do not, however, like the idea of bringing the two together.
- 4. Hamburger helper with a thick layer of applesauce on the top: I can’t even come up with a comment for this one.
- 5. Banana bites with raw bits of fish: This would be terrible even if the fish had been cooked.
- 6. Uncooked Ramen noodles with peanut butter: Why?
- 7. Chocolate donuts stuffed with baked beans: Here we go with the baked beans again …
- 8. Tuna and processed meat on pizza dough: The tuna alone would gag me.
- 9. Oreos with a pickle filling: Maybe the only filling worse than this would be tuna.
- 10. Spaghetti wrapped in a slice of lunchmeat: I assume the spaghetti would at least be warm.
- 11. Tuna inside an ice cream cone: Ah, more tuna. Great.
- 12. Pasta topped with chocolate sauce — and cheese: Would the cheese be grated?
- 13. Chili with sushi in it: Sounds like something you’d find at one of those all-you-can-eat salad bars.
- 14. Peas and peanut butter: This one’s definitely worse than the peanut butter and Ramen noodles.
- 15. Peas mixed with Fruit Loops, baked beans and seasoned rice: And again, baked beans.
2. The Daily Dirt’s second annual fall sports concession stand award goes to Central High School, located about two miles outside of Camp Point.
The Camp Point concession stand not only has quality burgers and dogs, but tasty butterfly pork chop sandwiches — not to mention the expected assortment of soft drinks, chips and sweets. If you walk away hungry it’s your own fault.
Here’s a look at our award-winning concession stands since the 2021 football season:
Daily Dirt Concession Awards
2022: Camp Point Central: Personally, I make it a must to arrive at games at Central. That means at least an hour before kickoff. That allows for at least two trips to what is a marvelous concessions operation.
2021: Highland, Mo.: Quality grilled dogs, plus generous — and hot! — slices of pizza are arguably the most popular items.
20211-22: Payson. The homemade pies are wonderful, simply wonderful.
3. Christopher Bell likely had a sizable local rooting contingent Sunday afternoon when he was running for the NASCAR Cup Series title in Phoenix.
Bell, who was one of the Championship Four drivers eligible to earn the NASCAR title via the Cup Series playoff format, wound up third in direct competition with eventual champion Joey Logano, Ross Chastain and fourth-place Chase Elliott.
Bell raced a number of times at Quincy between 2014-16 in the MOWA sprint car series and built quite an appreciative following at the Broadway Bullring.
In recent years, the 27-year-old Bell worked his way up the NASCAR ladder until landing a full-time ride with Joe Gibbs Toyota Racing. Bell won the 2017 NASCAR Truck Series championship before advancing full time to the Cup Series.
Bell is a native of Norman, Okla. He currently lives in Concord, N.C.
Steve Thought O’ The Day — For those who might be interested, Central hosts a playoff football game Saturday afternoon. Even if you don’t care for sports, go to eat. You won’t regret it.
Steve Eighinger writes daily for Muddy River News. He gets to sporting events about two hours early in order to research the concession stand.
Miss Clipping Out Stories to Save for Later?
Click the Purchase Story button below to order a print of this story. We will print it for you on matte photo paper to keep forever.