DAILY DIRT: Pumpkin pie a runaway No. 1? Really??
Key lime pie really deserves more love … Welcome to today’s three thoughts that make up Vol. 756 of The Daily Dirt.
1. I have to admit I was at least mildly surprised at the overwhelming percentage of respondents who picked pumpkin as their favorite Thanksgiving pie in a recent poll I saw.
Granted, I’m not a big pumpkin pie guy, but the sizable difference was what raised my eyebrows.
There are some great kinds of pies that fared no better than also-ran status. Here are the results, which were coordinated by lesrepasdemonenfance.com:
1. Pumpkin, 23 percent
2. Pecan, 14 percent
3. Apple, 12 percent
4. Sweet potato, 8 percent (Seriously? Shouldn’t sweet potato pie count as one of those pot pies you heat up in the microwave?)
5-tie. Cherry, 5 percent
5-tie. Blueberry, 5 percent
All with 3 percent:
- Boston cream
- Key lime
- Banana cream
- Peanut butter
- Coconut cream
- Lemon meringue
All with 2 percent:
2. Obviously, those voters need some help, and that’s what I’m here for.
Here are your top pie choices come Turkey Day:
1. Key lime: The perfect post-turkey treat.
2. Peanut butter: And if the key lime is a bit too tart for your taste buds, go with the creamy peanut butter pie with the mile-high meringue.
3. Banana cream: There’s no holiday meal that cannot be enhanced by this addition.
4. Apple: The Babe Ruth of pies. Just add a scoop of ice cream for perfection plus.
5. Boston cream: This entry can be the perfect accent for any of the cold-weather holiday get-togethers.
3. The best of “Found on Facebook” from the weekend:
- “Bacon is 73 percent fat and very salty. Me too, bacon. Me too.”
- “You really gotta hand it to short people. Mainly because they can’t reach it.”
- “I’ve found a great place to order sausage online. I’ll send you a link.”
- “Please remember you are not useless. You can always be used as a bad example.” (This may be my all-time favorite.)
- “My goal is to be that old person that everyone is afraid to take out in public.”
Steve Thought O’ The Day — I just reread this post, and now I’m hungry. Very, very hungry.
Steve Eighinger writes daily for Muddy River News. Banana Cream pie is seriously underrated.
Miss Clipping Out Stories to Save for Later?
Click the Purchase Story button below to order a print of this story. We will print it for you on matte photo paper to keep forever.