Daily Dirt for Sunday, July 24, 2022
Do you remember “In the Summertime” by Mungo Jerry? I suggest playing it before continuing … Welcome to today’s three thoughts that make up Vol. 346 of The Daily Dirt.
1. We’re in that time of year when it’s hot, muggy and what energy we have is usually sapped by noon. But for any drawback summer may have, it still beats the snowdrifts and low thermometer readings of December or January.
Summer also stirs entirely different thought processes than spring, autumn or the dreaded winter. I’ve always tried to live by the following warm-weather words of wisdom:
- Gold medal: “Summer bachelors, like summer breezes, are never as cool as they pretend to be.” — author Nora Ephron.
- Silver medal: “I just wanna lie on the beach and eat hot dogs. That’s all I’ve ever wanted.” — Kevin Malone (played by Brian Baumgartner), “The Office.”
- Bronze medal: “Deep summer is when laziness finds respectability,” — author Sam Keen. (Actually, I try and incorporate this thought into all four seasons.)
2. Our weekly happy birthdays this week go to:
- Barry Bonds, who turns 58 Sunday. At some point, he’ll be in the Hall of Fame, but probably not in our lifetime.
- Jennifer Lopez, who blows out 52 candles Sunday. Does J-Lo now have more wedding rings than Tom Brady does Super Bowl rings? Asking for a friend.
- Mick Jagger, who will be 79 on Tuesday. Raise your hand if you’re surprised Mick has lived this long.
- Alex Rodriguez, who will be 47 on Wednesday. Barry Bonds will be in the Hall of Fame before A-Rod.
- Arnold Schwarzenegger, who turns 75 on Saturday. I think we need one more “Terminator” film.
3. About half of the NFL teams are introducing “alternate” helmets this season. The best I have seen so far is the new black New York Jets model. The Jets will totally suck again, but at least those helmets will look good.
Another interesting idea finds the Eagles bringing back their popular Kelly green uniforms and helmets — but not until 2023. It will be worth the wait. The Eagles were arguably the best-looking team in the NFL when they wore those jerseys and helmets. They have not worn that style since 2010.
Steve Thought O’ The Day
Speaking of Mick Jagger, I once thought he would never survive the 1960s, let alone the 1970s, 1980s, 1990s … well, you get the idea. Now I’m convinced he and Keith Richard will outlive the entire human race. Must be all that clean livin’, eh?
Steve Eighinger writes daily for Muddy River News. No one thought he would survive the 1960s, let alone the 1970s, 1980s, 1990s … well, you get the idea. Must be all that clean livin’, eh?
Miss Clipping Out Stories to Save for Later?
Click the Purchase Story button below to order a print of this story. We will print it for you on matte photo paper to keep forever.Purchase Story