Daily Dirt: Sometimes, the endings of songs prove most memorable
Daily Dirt for Saturday, Jan. 14, 2023
You’ve got a real treat coming up today. Here’s a hint: Cow urine. Welcome to today’s three thoughts that make up Vol. 499 of The Daily Dirt.
1. Popular songs often hook us with that catchy first line or two. Rarely, if ever, do we remember a song for its closing words. There are, however, exceptions. I offer these three:
Gold medal: “Meet the new boss / Same as the old boss” — The Who, “Won’t Get Fooled Again.” At the height of its popularity, the classic anthem from The Who always left us wanting more. It still does.
Silver medal: “It’s a town full of losers / And I’m pulling out of here to win” — Bruce Springsteen, “Thunder Road.” The Boss has dozens of great songs, but this one’s punctuation might be the best.
Bronze medal: “Quietly now while I turn a page / Act one is over without costume change / The principal would like to leave the stage / The crowd don’t understand.” — Rod Stewart, “I Was Only Joking.” This came out following the legendary breakup of Stewart and Britt Eklund. Obviously, Rod was not yet over that particular heartbreak.
2. It’s time for our bad food pick of the week.
Gomutra is cow urine from India. Drinking gomutra has been practiced for thousands of years, and it is usually consumed for therapeutic purposes, according to disgustingfoodmuseum.com. The cow urine from a pregnant cow is considered especially potent in hormones and minerals and is claimed to treat psoriasis, leprosy, fevers, liver ailments and cancer. Cow urine also be be used to clean floors.
3. The Athletic racently released its all-star picks for both the NBA’s Eastern and Western conferences. Do you see any surprises?
- Donovan Mitchell, Cleveland, G
- Tyrese Haliburton, Indiana, G
- Joel Embiid, Philadelphia, F
- Kevin Durant, Brooklyn, F
- Giannis Antetokounmpo, Milwaukee, C
- Luka Doncic, Dallas, G
- Steph Curry, Golden State, G
- Anthony Davis, Los Angeles, F
- LeBron James, Los Angeles, F
- Nikola Jokic, Denver, C
My only real argument would be in the West, which has two players from a Lakers team with a record under .500 and currently four spots out of the playoffs. While the age-defying James is an automatic pick, I can’t justify Davis. If healthy, I could probably be swayed, but the injury-prone Davis has only played in 25 games this season.
Steve Thought O’ The Day
Never in my life have I had a desire to ride a motorcycle.
Miss Clipping Out Stories to Save for Later?
Click the Purchase Story button below to order a print of this story. We will print it for you on matte photo paper to keep forever.