Daily Dirt for Thursday, April 28, 2022
I’m hoping Helen Mirren’s words are correct … Welcome to today’s three thoughts that make up Vol. 270 of The Daily Dirt.
1. If you’ve reached your so-called senior years, here are some thoughts to help you make the adjustment from middle age to old age:
- “Old age is always 15 years older than I am” — late Supreme Court Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes.
- “Birthdays are good for you. Statistics show that the people who have the most live the longest” — Fr. Larry Lorenzoni.
- “I don’t feel old. I don’t feel anything until noon. Then it’s time for my nap”– comedian Bob Hope.
- “I haven’t spoken to my wife in years. I didn’t want to interrupt her”— comedian Rodney Dangerfield.
- “People ask me what I’d most appreciate getting for my 87th birthday. I tell them, a paternity suit” — comedian George Burns.
- “Your 40s are good. Your 50s are great. Your 60s are fab. And 70 is f—ing awesome!” — actress Helen Mirren.
2. Here three interesting items I found available at fast-food restaurants around the globe:
Gold medal: In Singapore, you can get fish-filled breakfast doughnuts. You read that right. Fish-filled. Breakfast. Doughnuts.
Silver medal: In Japan, some McDonald’s provide fries covered in chocolate and pumpkin sauce. As if one or the other would not be bad enough.
Bronze medal: In Italy, some fast-food sites allow patrons to substitute fries for an individually wrapped bar of authentic Parmigiano Reggiano cheese. A burger and a bar of cheese. What more could you ask for?
3. LUV YADI remains No. 1 for a ninth straight week in the Great Plate rankings for license plates spotted across West-Central Illinois and Northeast Missouri.
- 1. (1.) YADI LUV: Yadier Molina still rules.
- 2. (2.) GOL D LOX: “Goldilocks” is a 1969 animated half-hour film. One of the voices is provided by Bing Crosby.
- 3. (3.) TAXED: Elon Musk will pay more than $15,000,000,000 in taxes this year, the most in American history.
- 4. (4.) GO SING: For the record, the Rolling Stones have had No. 1 songs on the Billboard Hot 100.
5. (5) SIR LAW: As long as SIR LAW remains in the rankings we’ll honor a lawyer or someone connected with jurisprudence. Today we tip our hat to Judge Holly Henze.
- 6. (6) TAKE DA W: I saw this plate again in the Quincy High parking lot Monday night.
- 7. (-) LUTZ GO 1: Calvin Harris had a major hit song in 2012 entitled “Let’s Go”. Close enough.
- 8. (7.) YIPPEIOKIA: Remember that catch-phrase from the 1988 “Die Hard” movie? Yeah, THAT phrase.
- 9. (8.) PAT PAT 1: Five famous people named Pat: 1. Sajak. 2. O’Brien. 3. Burrell. 4. Benatar. 5. Boone.
- 10. (8.) BASIC: “Basic” was a mystery-action 2002 film that starred John Travolta and Samuel L. Jackson. It was a major bomb at the box office.
No. 1 Rankings: YADI LUV (9 weeks), GOL D LOX (2 weeks).
Steve Thought O’ The Day — In case you missed it, that was fish-filled doughnuts.
Steve Eighinger writes daily for Muddy River News. I never knew license plates were a fetish until now.
Miss Clipping Out Stories to Save for Later?
Click the Purchase Story button below to order a print of this story. We will print it for you on matte photo paper to keep forever.Purchase Story