Ahh, the first of school when students wonder what the next nine months will hold — and parents rejoice … Welcome to today’s three thoughts that make up Vol. 372 of The Daily Dirt.
1. Since school is starting in most areas this week, here are my three favorite observations about this time of the year:
Gold medal: “When a teacher calls a boy by his entire name, it means trouble.” — Mark Twain, writer and observer of the human spirit. I’ve found this also applies to girls as well.
Silver medal: “Some students drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.” — E.C. McKenzie, author.
Bronze medal:“The human brain is special. It starts working as soon as you get up and it doesn’t stop until you get to school.” — Milton Berle, comedian.
2. Since I’ve been collecting a growing number of responses from readers in the Great Plate Debate of 2022, today we’re going to share some more entries to relieve some of the backlog.
We’ll keep the medal standing update for early next week, but in the meantime enjoy some more finds from our loyal readers:
- SOLD U 3: Has to be a realtor, right?
- GOLF N 20: A 20 handicapper?
- DUCES 3: Did you know a dux or a duce is a Saxon chief or leader? Remember this the next time you are playing Scrabble.
- 1 SHADY: Not Slim Shady, but his twin brother.
- PAMISU 1: Just a hunch, but I am wagering the driver of this vehicle is named Pammy Sue.
- STRUK 1: There must be a hidden meaning here, because there is room for “STRUCK 1” on a plate.
- I TINK 1: This one actually came from two readers.
- TIL 68: Being 68 myself, I kind of like this one.
- I RITE 46: Sounds like a football play.
3. Interestingly, the Detroit Tigers and Cleveland Guardians/Indians/Naps/Spiders/Forest Citys/Bronchos have been MLB rivals in the American League since 1901.
Through Monday night’s doubleheader — which they split, the all-time series between the two clubs stood 1,143-1,143.
Steve Thought O’ The Day — Late in 2020, McDonald’s outlets in China offered a spam-and-Oreo sandwich. The special was reportedly for one day only. Hmmm … wasn’t that right around the time of the pandemic starting? Maybe it was that sandwich that was to blame for all of the problems the world endured.
Steve Eighinger writes daily for Muddy River News.
Miss Clipping Out Stories to Save for Later?
Click the Purchase Story button below to order a print of this story. We will print it for you on matte photo paper to keep forever.Purchase Story