Daily Dirt for Sunday, Sept. 11, 2022
When you think about it, Craig T. Nelson now plays the same character on “Young Sheldon” as he did on “Coach.” … Welcome to today’s three thoughts that make up Vol. 395 of The Daily Dirt.
1. You know what we’re missing these days? A good week-to-week TV program about sports. With all of the various network, streaming and subscription services available, it’s rather disappointing that it’s been so long since we were entertained by shows mirroring those on the following list. Granted, a handful of programs are out there right now, but none have yet measured up to the following hall of famers.
My all-time favorite sports-themed TV watchings:
- Gold medal: “Coach” (1989-97, ABC): Craig T. Nelson as Hayden Fox, the coach of fictitious Minnesota State football team, was not only tremendous in his own role, but he also was a perfect fit to lead a cast of interesting characters anchored by Jerry Van Dyke.
- Silver medal: “The League” (2009-15, FX): The premise of the show revolved around a group of friends who are in the same fantasy football league. It was highly entertaining for the first few seasons, but like many programs, it likely stayed around a season (or two) too long. My favorite characters were Andre (Paul Scheer) and Taco (Jon Lajoie).
- Bronze medal: “Arliss” (1996-2002, HBO): Robert Wuhl was magnificent — not to mention hilarious — as sports agent Arliss Roberts. This was also the breakthrough series for Sandra Oh.
2. Keeping with the sports-show theme, I originally was going to put together a list of the worst sports-themed programs and simply could not find anything close to one particular entry. So here you go, the worst TV sports show ever is:
“White Shadow” (1978-81, CBS): I could never figure out how this painfully slow-moving show lasted three seasons. Sure, it tried to tackle a plethora of important issues, but it was just … so-o-o … boring. “White Shadow” probably ruined whatever career aspirations Ken Howard may have had. Interesting fact: The show was created by Bruce Paltrow, father of actress Gwyneth Paltrow.
3. Here’s the best of what I “Found On Facebook” over the weekend:
- “Oh sure, it sounds like thunder. But this is 2022. It’s probably Godzilla.”
- “Customers will now be required to unload the trucks at Walmart. This is in addition to self-checkout duties.”
- “Before there was auto-tune, there was talent.”
- “Every time you don’t tip, another child gets a mullet.”
- “Life is much easier when you just don’t care what anyone thinks.”
Steve Thought O’ The Day
In a perfect culinary world, there would be no mustard, mayonnaise or relish.
Steve Eighinger writes daily for Muddy River News. Obviously, Steve has never watched Ted Lasso or Friday Night Lights.
Miss Clipping Out Stories to Save for Later?
Click the Purchase Story button below to order a print of this story. We will print it for you on matte photo paper to keep forever.Purchase Story