Lange wants television debate but claims Miller hasn’t agreed to show up
QUINCY — Paul Lange, the Democratic candidate for Illinois’ 15th Congressional District, has invited Republican opponent Mary Miller to a debate.
A press release from Lange’s campaign team says Lange says he has expressed public enthusiasm for the opportunity to debate, even making posts about the topic on social media, but claims Miller has stayed silent on the issue to this point.
Lange says a debate is scheduled for a yet to be announced day in October with WGEM-TV of Quincy, but Lange’s media team says Miller has not yet responded to the invitation. Lange says he will be there to answer the public’s questions, even if no opponent is there to debate his responses.
Muddy River News reached out to Patrick Farrell with the Miller campaign earlier this week regarding the debate and received no response.
The press release quotes an unnamed member of Lange’s campaign team from a Sept. 27 interview with an unnamed media outlet.
“Paul is interested in debating Mary if any opportunity arises. He is willing to debate on the radio, on TV, or in a public forum,” the release says. “He feels it’s very important for the public to have an opportunity to hear from both candidates. He wants the public to be able to ask him questions while also having the chance to compare his answers to his opponent’s.
“We are not sure why Mary Miller has not responded to any invitations yet. We are hoping she will soon. It’s important for the voters of District 15.”
The release says Lange’s main talking points are strengthening social security, improving river infrastructure, giving women rights to make their own healthcare decisions and supporting farmers.
Miss Clipping Out Stories to Save for Later?
Click the Purchase Story button below to order a print of this story. We will print it for you on matte photo paper to keep forever.