Miller votes for McCarthy for speaker after concessions are made
Congresswoman Mary Miller (R-IL) said the actions taken by Republicans in the House of Representatives “stops reckless spending and holds the Biden Administration accountable to the American people.”
“I promised my constituents that I would fight to change the status quo in the DC swamp, and thanks to 20 members who insisted on change, we can now celebrate a historic victory for the conservative movement despite intense pressure for us to give up and accept business as usual in Washington,” Miller said Saturday.
Kevin McCarthy was elected Speaker of the House on the 15th ballot. Miller eventually voted for McCarthy following days of negotiations.
“After intense negotiations and hard work by House Freedom Caucus members and House Republican leadership, we changed the rules to ensure that a Republican-controlled House cannot betray conservatives the way that Senate Republicans did when they passed Joe Biden’s $1.7 trillion omnibus,” Miller said. “With 40-year high inflation and $31 trillion in debt, we must save our country for our children and grandchildren.”
Other concessions the Conservatives asked for included:
- The power to block an omnibus spending bill from the Senate
- The power to eliminate waste by making direct budget cuts to the federal bureaucracy and spending caps to cut spending
- A balanced federal budget over the next 10 years
- A “Church-style” Committee to Investigate the Weaponization of the Federal Government, including the Biden Department of Justice
- A Southern Border Security Plan
- The end of COVID mandates and funding for them
- Requiring 72 hours to read a bill before the vote
- The power for one member to call a vote for a new Speaker
“I want to thank President Donald Trump, Freedom Caucus Chairman Scott Perry, Judiciary Committee Chairman Jim Jordan, and Speaker Kevin McCarthy for their work making this victory for the conservative movement and the American people possible,” Miller said. “I look forward to working with the House Republican Conference to stop Joe Biden’s destructive, radical, leftist agenda!”
Miss Clipping Out Stories to Save for Later?
Click the Purchase Story button below to order a print of this story. We will print it for you on matte photo paper to keep forever.