Three candidates to run for Hannibal mayor, November voters may also decide on department head reports
HANNIBAL, Mo. — Three individuals have officially thrown in their hats to run for Hannibal Mayor.
Barry Louderman, Kristy Trevathan, and Stephen Colyar filed for candidacy in Hannibal Mayor special election to be decided on the Nov. 7 ballot. The deadline for candidates to file expired Tuesday at 5 p.m.
The person elected will finish the former Mayor James Hark’s term which runs through April 25, 2025. Hark resigned on June 6, citing his reason to be expanding work duties at a local towing company to hinder his ability to serve as Hannibal’s mayor.
Each candidate will have an opportunity to discuss qualifications, goals, and more with Muddy River News throughout their campaigns.
Another decision possibly going to voters in November is if Hannibal department heads should be give monthly reports. Tuesday night, the council approved a first reading of an ordinance that will require department heads to provide the council with monthly written reports.
Councilmen Stephan Franke and Charlie Phillips have been pushing for Hannibal City Manager Lisa Peck to file reports to continue after they stopped in February 2022. They also requested Peck make an oral report to council highlighting points from the reports.
Since March 2023 Peck has consistently posted a monthly report, but at more than ten consecutive meetings the council voted down Franke and Phillips’ proposal to mandate the report and have Peck present highlights orally.
They were again voted down four to two on Tuesday night when they proposed an ordinance be placed on November’s ballot for voters to decide if department heads should be required to give a monthly written report plus an oral report.
The council instead approved a similar proposal from Councilman Darrell McCoy asking for voters to decide if they should require a monthly report from department heads without an oral presentation to council.
The council will decide if it will go on the November ballot at the next meeting on Aug 15.
In other business:
- Central Services Director Andy Dorian’s resolution was unanimously approved authorizing the mayor to execute a special warranty deed to William Forbis for the sale of city owned property located at 902 Fulton for $900
- Council approved a resolution 4 to 2 authorizing Mayor Pro Tem to execute an agreement with MJR Law LLC to conduct exit interviews for the City of Hannibal.
- Hannibal Police Chief Jacob Nacke authorizing the sale of surplus, a 2005 Chevy Impala.
Board of Adjustments:
- Tom Batenhurst was appointed for term to expire May 2026.
- Cole Painters was appointed for term to expire May 2026.
- Richard Ferrell was appointed for term to expire May 2028.
Historic Development District Commission Board:
- Greg Addison was appointed for term to expire May 2028.
- Kristy Trevathan was appointed for term to expire May 2028.
- Sara North was appointed for term to expire May 2024.
- Steve Ayers was appointed for term to expire May 2028.
- Roy Hark was appointed for term to expire May 2026.
- Joy McPike was appointed for term to expire June 2026.
Miss Clipping Out Stories to Save for Later?
Click the Purchase Story button below to order a print of this story. We will print it for you on matte photo paper to keep forever.