Two Hannibal men jailed, charged with first-degree assault in Sunday morning death outside Hannibal bar

Thomas Payne and Jordan Payne

Thomas Payne, left, and Jordan Payne | Photos courtesy of Hannibal Police Department

HANNIBAL, Mo. — Two people are facing first-degree assault charges in connection to the death of a Hannibal man on Sunday morning. 

Thomas D.C. Payne, 29, of Hannibal and Jordan A. Payne, 27, of Hannibal now are in custody after an investigation by the Hannibal Police Department, Marion County Sheriff’s Department and the Missouri State Highway Patrol’s Division of Drug and Crime Control. Warrants were issued Tuesday in the 10th Judicial Circuit of Marion County.

Tiara T. Bonner, 26, of Hannibal, and Jason D. Anderson, 24, of Hannibal also are in custody in connection to the incident. Both face second-degree murder charges.

Thomas Payne and Jordan Payne are in the Marion County Jail on a $100,000 bond. Bonner and Anderson are in the Marion County Jail on no bond.

A probable cause statement from the Hannibal Police Department Police indicated officers reported at around 1:50 a.m. Sunday, Oct. 9, to the 100 block of North Main to investigate an assault outside Rumors Bar and Grill. Upon arrival, officers found a male victim, Dusty Wilson, 49, of Hannibal, on Main Street with substantial head trauma. Wilson was transported to Hannibal Regional Hospital and later to a trauma center in Columbia, Mo., where he died from his injuries.

A witness told the Hannibal Police Department Jordan Payne was seen knocking Wilson’s hat off and arguing with him before a physical altercation started. The same witness said Thomas Payne struck Wilson several times.

Jordan Payne and Thomas Payne turned themselves in to the Hannibal Police Department on Monday and were arrested. Thomas told an investigator that Jordan flipped Wilson’s hat off, and he stepped between the two at the start of the verbal altercation. Jordan told an investigator he did not knock Wilson out and did not hit him when he was on the ground.

The probable cause statement in the case against Bonner and Anderson indicated a witness testified and a video showed the two stomping and kicking Wilson when he was on the ground.

Jordan Payne told the investigator that Wilson was unconscious for about 10 minutes before he and Thomas Payne left the scene. A video showed the two Paynes and Anderson leaving the scene in Jordan Payne’s vehicle moments before the police arrived. Thomas Payne said Jordan Payne drove to a party at a female’s house after the altercation.

The Hannibal Police Department asks anyone who may have been a witness to this incident to contact the department at 573-221-0987 or submit information online at 

Detectives continue to conduct their investigation. A criminal charge is merely an allegation. The defendants are presumed innocent until and unless proven guilty.

Miss Clipping Out Stories to Save for Later?

Click the Purchase Story button below to order a print of this story. We will print it for you on matte photo paper to keep forever.

Current Weather


Trending Stories